As per reported a day earlier, Consortium Zenith BUCG Sdn Bhd (CZBUCG) chairman Datuk Zarul Ahmad Mohd Zulkifli said the feasibility study has been stopped one month ago. By the next day, he clarified that it was just a miscommunication. The feasibility study will be completed and he said that he was also inviting some members of the press to go to China to see what China Railway has done with the undersea tunnel there. This proves that Penang tunnel project is still continuing. In fact, 83 percent of the feasibility study has been completed and remaining 17 percent could be completed within 6 months. He said, “We have good consultants looking into it and it is definitely feasible.” Good to see him showing confidence with the project.
The Chief Minister of Penang, Lim Guan Eng said “Even if the feasibility study for the tunnel, which forms a part of the DEIA, is completed but approval for DEIA is not received for the tunnel, the project cannot proceed and the contractor cannot claim compensation from the state government.” He then reiterated that the undersea tunnel would most likely be completed in 2027. This is 11 years from today. Perhaps by then the second bridge would already be busy enough unlike today. Guan Eng then shared that the the feasibility study could also be turned into one for a third bridge if the federal government would approve it. If it’s a third bridge, then it will be toll-free. Frankly, I would prefer a toll-free bridge instead but need to know who would be maintaining the bridge. Reminder, building is great but maintenance is key to continuous usage.
The company tasked with the construction of three highways is CZBUCG, which consists of Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd, Beijing Urban Construction Group Co Ltd, Sri Tinggi Sdn Bhd and Juteras Sdn Bhd. The three highways are a 4.2km bypass from Gurney Drive to Lebuhraya Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu, a 4.6km bypass between Lebuhraya Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu and Bandar Baru Air Itam, and a 12km paired road from Jalan Tanjung Bungah to Teluk Bahang — and the 7.2km undersea tunnel. The total cost for the project is RM6.341 billion. Last but not least, Datuk Zarul said that their focus is to complete the all the roads by 2022 while the tunnel would be 2027. Keep following and reading.
written on 17 June 2016
Next suggested article: LRT Penang, positive signs from SPAD